On 5/30/23 17:45, Ben Bolker wrote:
Inspired by this old Stack Overflow question

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19765610/when-does-locale-affect-rs-regular-expressions

I was wondering why this is TRUE:

Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL", "et_EE")
grepl("[A-Z]", "T")

TRE's documentation at <https://laurikari.net/tre/documentation/regex-syntax/> says that a range "is shorthand for the full range of characters between those two [endpoints] (inclusive) in the collating sequence".

Yet, T is *not* between A and Z in the Estonian collating sequence:

 sort(LETTERS)
 [1] "A" "B" "C" "D" "E" "F" "G" "H" "I" "J" "K" "L" "M" "N" "O" "P" "Q" "R" "S"
[20] "Z" "T" "U" "V" "W" "X" "Y"

  I realize that this may be a question about TRE rather than about R *per se* (FWIW the grepl() result is also TRUE with `perl = TRUE`, so the question also applies to PCRE), but I'm wondering if anyone has any insights ...  (and yes, I know that the correct answer is "use [:alpha:] and don't worry about it")

The correct answer depends on what you want to do, but please see ?regexp in R:

"Because their interpretation is locale- and implementation-dependent, character ranges are best avoided."

and

"The only portable way to specify all ASCII letters is to list them all as the character class
‘[ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz]’."

This is from POSIX specification:

"In the POSIX locale, a range expression represents the set of collating elements that fall between two elements in the collation sequence, inclusive. In other locales, a range expression has unspecified behavior: strictly conforming applications shall not rely on whether the range expression is valid, or on the set of collating elements matched. A range expression shall be expressed as the starting point and the ending point separated by a <hyphen-minus> ( '-' )."

If you really want to know why the current implementation of R, TRE and PCRE2 works in a certain way, you can check the code, but I don't think it would be a good use of the time given what is written above.

It may be that TRE has a bug, maybe it doesn't do what was intended (see comment "XXX - Should use collation order instead of encoding values in character ranges." in the code), but I didn't check the code thoroughly.

Best
Tomas

(In contrast, the ICU engine underlying stringi/stringr says "[t]he characters to include are determined by Unicode code point ordering" - see

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/76365426/does-stringrs-regex-engine-translate-a-z-into-abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwyz/76366163#76366163

for links)