(https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/9f1940663f902174034a01197e55fd17c767213a/src/library/base/R/zzz.R#L664-L686)

    > does need tweaking?

Yes, thank you, Tim for your analysis.
I've started looking at the issue a couple of hours ago,
{notably as I am the originator of the issue ...}

    > At this stage this is probably more a question for R-devel though.

    > Tim

(( not only at this stage. This would have belonged there from the
   start.... but nothing is perfect....
   ==> This reply now *GOES* to R-devel ))

Yes, this a buglet / imperfection in the deprecation warnings.
I have spent already time to fix the  lapply() case {and similar} cases.
In the mean time there *is* also a very related message on
R-devel by Mikael Jagan.

As the plan was that this is only "ad interim", namely
before those explicit  as.data.frame.<something> methods will be
completely gone from base -- because they are all currently
identical(*) to as.data.frame.vector(),
I did add that hack in zzz.R  to create deprecation warnings
that should be correct most of the time - unless people do funny things.
--
*) apart from the fact that 12 method functions all got their deprec.warning.

    > On 06/07/2023 14:42, Enrico Schumann wrote:
    >> On Thu, 06 Jul 2023, Vincent van Hees writes:
    >>
    >>> Thanks, in that case the REPLEX for the issue may need to be:

    >>> time
    >>> 1 2023-07-06 14:29:37
    >>> time
    >>> 1 2023-07-06 14:29:37
    >>> Warning message:
    >>> Direct call of 'as.data.frame.POSIXct()' is deprecated.  Use
    >>> 'as.data.frame.vector()' or 'as.data.frame()' instead
    >>
    >> I think it happens because
    >>
    >> data.frame(<POSIXlt>)
    >>
    >> calls 'as.data.frame.POSIXlt' (per its S3-class), which
    >> in turn directly calls 'as.data.frame.POSIXct':
    >>
    >> ## as.data.frame.POSIXlt
    >> function (x, row.names = NULL, optional = FALSE, ...)
    >> {
    >> value <- as.data.frame.POSIXct(as.POSIXct(x), row.names,
    >> optional, ...)
    >> if (!optional)
    >> names(value) <- deparse1(substitute(x))
    >> value
    >> }
    >> <environment: namespace:base>
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >> Enrico

Indeed, thank you, Enrico!

That's another such case, that my "hack" (see above) overlooked;
somewhat embarrassingly, but also astonishingly to me as I hoped
to find relevant cases by warnings appearing within the base R
checks...  {and it is I think even easier to fix than the
lapply(.)  case..}.

Martin

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich  and  R Core team