On 30/10/2023 16:18, Yihui Xie wrote:
Hi,

It may have been so for 20+ years but I just discovered today that system()
would always try to use the short path of a command on Windows:
https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/635a67/src/gnuwin32/run.c#L141 If
that's true, I wonder if it could provide an option to disable this
behavior, because we recently ran into a case in which short paths wouldn't
work. I wonder what the original motivation of using short paths was. If it
was to avoid spaces in paths, wouldn't shQuote() work? Thanks!

No: system on Windows does not use a shell.

The 'original motivation' was to work reliably! Back in the days of Windows 95 when many parts of Windows only supported 8+3 names.

Regards,
Yihui

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Please do re-read the posting guide.  It has ' been so for 20+ years '.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk