    > Le 17/12/2023 à 18:26, Barry Rowlingson a écrit :
    >> I think what's been missed is that zapsmall works relative to the
absolute
    >> largest value in the vector. Hence if there's only one
    >> item in the vector, it is the largest, so its not zapped. The function's
    >> raison d'etre isn't to replace absolutely small values,
    >> but small values relative to the largest. Hence a vector of similar tiny
    >> values doesn't get zapped.
    >>
    >> Maybe the line in the docs:
    >>
    >> " (compared with the maximal absolute value)"
    >>
    >> needs to read:
    >>
    >> " (compared with the maximal absolute value in the vector)"

    > I agree that this change in the doc would clarify the situation but
    > would not resolve proposed corner cases.

    > I think that an additional argument 'mx' (absolute max value of
    > reference) would do. Consider:

    > zapsmall2 <-
    > function (x, digits = getOption("digits"), mx=max(abs(x), na.rm=TRUE))
    > {
    >     if (length(digits) == 0L)
    >         stop("invalid 'digits'")
    >     if (all(ina <- is.na(x)))
    >         return(x)
    >     round(x, digits = if (mx > 0) max(0L, digits -
    > as.numeric(log10(mx))) else digits)
    > }

    > then zapsmall2() without explicit 'mx' behaves identically to actual
    > zapsmall() and for a scalar or a vector of identical value, user can
    > manually fix the scale of what should be considered as small:

    >> zapsmall2(y)
    > [1] 2.220446e-16
    >> zapsmall2(y, mx=1)
    > [1] 0
    >> zapsmall2(c(y, y), mx=1)
    > [1] 0 0
    >> zapsmall2(c(y, NA))
    > [1] 2.220446e-16           NA
    >> zapsmall2(c(y, NA), mx=1)
    > [1]  0 NA

    > Obviously, the name 'zapsmall2' was chosen just for this explanation.
    > The original name 'zapsmall' could be reused as a full backward
    > compatibility is preserved.

    > Best,
    > Serguei.

Thank you, Serguei, Duncan, Barry et al.

Generally :
  Yes, zapsmall was meant and is used for zapping *relatively*
  small numbers.  In the other cases,  directly  round()ing is
  what you should use.

Specifically to Serguei's proposal of allowing the "max" value
to be user specified (in which case it is not really a true
max() anymore):

I've spent quite a a few hours on this problem in May 2022, to
make it even more flexible, e.g. allowing to use a 99%
percentile instead of the max(), or allowing to exclude +Inf
from the "mx"; but -- compared to your zapsmall2() --
to allow reproducible automatic choice :

zapsmall <- function(x, digits = getOption("digits"),
                     mFUN = function(x, ina) max(abs(x[!ina])),
                     min.d = 0L)
{
    if (length(digits) == 0L)
        stop("invalid 'digits'")
    if (all(ina <- is.na(x)))
        return(x)
    mx <- mFUN(x, ina)
    round(x, digits = if(mx > 0) max(min.d, digits - as.numeric(log10(mx)))
else digits)
}

with optional 'min.d' as I had (vaguely remember to have) found
at the time that the '0' is also not always "the only correct" choice.

Somehow I never got to propose/discuss the above,
but it seems a good time to do so now.

Martin

https://www.toulouse-biotechnology-institute.fr/en/plateformes-plateaux/cellule-mathematiques/