Just to add to Thomas Lumley suggestion: it's generally a good idea to call a wrapper function it by a different name. This way, when you forget that you have a wrapper function, you won't be puzzled by why the function doesn't behave according to the documentation, and you won't embarrass yourself by asking other people why there is a bug in R. Also, if the function is called programmatically by other functions, those usages might be depending upon the standard defaults being in effect. So, just do something like:

myX11<-function(display="",width=2,height=2,...){
   grDevices::X11(display=display,width=width,height=height,...)
}

-- Tony Plate

At Wednesday 05:18 PM 11/17/2004, Thomas Lumley wrote:

Restricted to r-devel (it is almost never appropriate to send the same message to both lists).

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, RenE J.V. Bertin wrote:
>From: Patrick Connolly &lt;[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: &quot;RenE J.V. Bertin&quot; &lt;[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [R] changing (core) function argument defaults?
>Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:43:10 +1300

>On Wed, 20-Oct-2004 at 07:48PM +0200, RenE J.V. Bertin wrote:
>
>|> Hello,
>|>

>|> Is it possible to change the defaults for the arguments to a
>|> function, without changing the function code itself?  I'm asking
>|> because I'd like to override the default dimensions and font family
>|> for a graphics device. Before 2.0.0, I'd just do that with a small
>|> edit in the appropriate .R file containing the device function
>|> definition. I appears to be possible no longer. So rather than
>|> copying the definition into my own .Rprofile, it would be nice if
>|> just the defaults could be modified...
>
>I didn't notice a response to this question.  I'd like to do something
>similar and haven't been able to work out how to do it.

You can write a wrapper

X11<-function(display="",width=2,height=2,...){
   grDevices::X11(display,width,height,...)
}

and put that into your Rprofile.

        -thomas