I'm just curious . . . if effect sizes are so important, and possibly a better
way of looking at results than p-values, since they don't depend on effect size
(Kline,2004; Murphy and Myors, 2004),  why don't any of the classical tests,
like t.test or glht specified for Tukey's posthocs, return effect sizes? I say
"classical" because I'm sure there may be packages out there, not in the base
program, which do return effect sizes, but do they also return everything glht
does, which are confidence intervals for mean differences, t-values and
p-values, standard error plus a cool MMC graph? Anyway, just wondering. I mean,
it's not that hard to calculate effect sizes on my own, but it seems like if
they were important they would be included . . .

Jenifer

Dr. Jenifer Larson-Hall
Assistant Professor of Linguistics
University of North Texas