Thanks Richard. I am just trying to understand exactly what is R's arima
doing, and I am having a hard time. It seems that xreg is necessary to force
arima to include the constant term, but it appears that exactly how this is
done is not documented. If a series is not differenced, e.g. AR(1), then
does one still need to include xreg? If I take an AR(1) series with known
coefficient and use arima to do the fit using arima, i.e., arima(x = ar1,
order = c(1, 0, 0)), the estimated coefficient is not as good as a simple lm
fit using a one period lag. I am wondering if this should be the expected
result? Then, I tried Robert Shumway's sarima, and it gave me a much better
coefficient compared to arima (but still a little bit worse than lm). I
don't understand why this is happening. I guess I am even more confused...

--
Tom