Hi,

You need to define what you want more exactly--what are the possible
conclusions (hypotheses) you want to reach? Based on what you've said, I can
think of several different approaches you might want, but I'm not sure which
one of them you're actually after. For example:

Hypothesis A: The distance between the left endpoints of P and Q is less
than (or equal to) the distance between the right endpoints.
Hypothesis B: The distance between the right endpoints is smaller.

This is a simple binomial test, as David Winsemius suggested. In your most
recent email, though, it sounds like you want to take into account how much
smaller one distance is than the other. This is more complicated.

Another option occurred to me: maybe you don't care which end P is close to,
you just want to know whether it's close to one of the ends, or somewhere in
the middle.

Without knowing what exactly you are trying to test, it's very hard for us
to help you.

Jonathan