I guess that in R you have to be explicit about what you want to do. You can't just drop them, so you'll have to assign them some (other) value. Try which(table(C)==1) to give you the values you need to change and then decide what to change them to. The SAS documentation may tell you what it does; otherwise, I'd suggest you look at the source, but I guess that is not an option for you. Welcome to R.

Allan