On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, mic wrote:

When I tried this, I'm having this error. Can somebody help me on
this. Are there any alternatives or workaround for this? I'm having
hard time to convince our admin to install X11 library and headers
since they are not included on the default OS installation.

You could install R from an RPM: you only need the X11 headers to build R. (It is possible if tricky to do that in a user account, but you might persuade the sysadmin to do so.)

You could use the bitmap() device, if gs is installed.

You could use some of the third-party alternatives (packages Cairo, GDD ...) *but* you almost certainly don't have the -devel RPMs they depend on either. (I don't think the -devel RPMs needed for jpeg are in 'the default OS installation', but it depends on which default.)

You could install a copy of X11 (and, preferably, cairographics) from the sources in your own space.

Finally, you could talk to the 'admin's line-manager about his/her employee's obstructive attitude.

Thanks in advance :)

jpeg("test.jpg")
Error in jpeg("test.jpg") : X11 is not available

sessionInfo()
R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31)
i686-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
[1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
[3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
[5] LC_MONETARY=C              LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
[7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
[9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

capabilities()
   jpeg      png     tiff    tcltk      X11     aqua http/ftp
sockets
  FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE     TRUE
TRUE
 libxml     fifo   cledit    iconv      NLS  profmem    cairo
   TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE    FALSE    FALSE

Seems that libjpeg is available on our server
[r...@localhost R-2.11.1]# locate libjpeg
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62.0.0

Interesting: the first is in the libjpeg-devel RPM, so the sysadmin has installed some unnecessary software already ....

I'm using Fedora 12 and compiled the newest version of r-project.
Here are my steps I've taken before I run that command

./configure --with-x=no --with-tcltk=no

Here's the message after the command...
R is now configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu

 Source directory:          .
 Installation directory:    /usr/local

 C compiler:                gcc -std=gnu99  -g -O2
 Fortran 77 compiler:       gfortran  -g -O2

 C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
 Fortran 90/95 compiler:    gfortran -g -O2
 Obj-C compiler:

 Interfaces supported:
 External libraries:        readline
 Additional capabilities:   JPEG, NLS
 Options enabled:           shared BLAS, R profiling, Java

 Recommended packages:      yes

make
make install

Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk