j.delashe...@ed.ac.uk wrote:
Quoting Prof Brian Ripley <rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk>:

See also Omegahat package Rcompression (a copy of which for Windows is
on CRANextras).

Thank you, I will look into that.

But I would do this via unzip, modify, zip

once or even 10 times, yes. After that it gets boring :)
I'd like to use it to batch-correct a series of .zip files that all contain one single wrong file inside.

I believe Dr. Ripley was suggesting calling zip and unzip utilities through, say, the ?system function in R, as opposed to relying on R packages/functions to perform these compression tasks on their own.