Hello,
I think that good introduction for application oriented people is book of
Peter Dalgaard, Introductory Statistics with R
http://www.springer.com/statistics/computanional+statistics/book/978-0-387-79053-4
This book is good for mastering basics of R.

Book I like the one of John Fox, An R and S-PLUS Companion to Applied
Regression
http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Companion/index.html

But there are dozens of books on this topic.
Best regards,
Ondrej Vozar.