On Aug 17, 2010, at 8:41 AM, ivo welch wrote:

Dear R experts---is it possible to plot the \ell symbol in R under the
pdf device?  the following did not work:

 pdf(file="ell.pdf");
 plot( c(0,1), c(0,1) );
 text( 0.5, 0.5, "\u2113" )
 dev.off()

my guess is that this cannot be done, but I thought I would ask.

(On a Mac:)

After 7 warning messages I got an ellipsis ("...") printed at the desired location. Interestingly I think the error message might have properly printed the desired glyph (assuming you wanted a cursive lower case "l":

Warning messages:
1: In text.default(0.5, 0.5, "ℓ") :
  conversion failure on 'ℓ' in 'mbcsToSbcs': dot substituted for <e2>

I also looked in the Hershey fonts without recognition (but could have missed one). One the Mac there is an option among the Zapfino family but I suspect that is of little use to you.

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT