Ken -
   Try

  aggregate(Pilot$Count,list(Date=Pilot$Date,illness=Pilot$illness),sum)

If you don't want to keep typing "Pilot", use

  with(Pilot,aggregate(Count,list(Date=Date,illness=illness),sum))

Notice that the aggregated variable will be called "x" in the output
data frame from aggregate.

                                        - Phil Spector
                                         Statistical Computing Facility
                                         Department of Statistics