On Sun, 22 Aug 2010, Matt Shotwell wrote:

On Sun, 2010-08-22 at 11:41 -0400, ivo welch wrote:
Dear R Wizards---is it possible to get R to show its current call
stack (sys.calls()) upon an error abort?  I don't use ESS for
execution, and it is often not obvious how to locate how I triggered
an error in an R internal function.  Seeing the call stack would make
this easier.  (right now, I sprinkle "cat" statements everywhere, just
to locate the line where the error appears.)  Of course, I would
really love to see the line in my program that triggered this, but I
have asked this before, and I understand this is too difficult to get
into the R language.

The traceback() function will print out the call stack after an error.
However, you may find the debug() family of functions more useful for
debugging. Also see the browser() function.

Further, you might set

        options( error = recover )

which "prints the list of current calls, and prompts the user to select one of them." And then allows browser()-ing.

Chuck

-Matt

regards,

/iaw

----
Ivo Welch (ivo.we...@brown.edu, ivo.we...@gmail.com)

Matthew S. Shotwell
Graduate Student
Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology
Medical University of South Carolina

                                            Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
E mailto:cbe...@tajo.ucsd.edu               UC San Diego