Hi John,
I'm having some trouble sorting out your request, for the following reasons:

1) I don't know what misdist is (can't find it on CRAN or google) or why you
need Rcmdr to run it. Presumably you meant mixdist?
2) relimp is not required by Rcmdr, merely suggested. Rcmdr will work fine
without it.
3) I hope that by "downloaded from CRAN" you do not mean that you manually
downloaded it. R has package management, use it! What happens exactly when
you try

install.packages("Rcmdr" dep=TRUE)

?
4) I had no trouble installing Rcmdr (and all dependencies etc., including
relimp) using the command above. My session information is below. Please
include yours (as well as the actual errors you get, if any) in your reply.

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31)
i486-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_US.utf8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.utf8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=C             LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.utf8       LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C              LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.utf8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:
[1] splines   tcltk     stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets
[8] methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] Rcmdr_1.6-0     car_2.0-2       survival_2.35-8 nnet_7.3-1
[5] MASS_7.3-7

[1] tools_2.11.1

Best,
Ista

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 6:39 AM, John Barrett [jzb] <j...@aber.ac.uk> wrote:

> I am trying to use Rcmdr 1.5_4 with R-2.11.1 (order to run to run the new
> version of misdist-0.5.3 which is built under R-2.11.1). however relimp is
> required for Rcmdr and the version of relimp_1.0.1 downloaded from CRAN will
> not work with the latest version of Rcmdr (I get error message telling me to
> reload it). Is there any way round this problem or will there be a new
> version relimp that is compatible?  Any advice would be gratefully received.
> many thanks
> John
>
> Prof. Barrett
> Univ. of Aberystwyth