Hi Alex,

I'm slightly unclear as to why you would want to restructure your nice six-column data.frame (why six? One column for the data and four for the factors should make five, shouldn't it? I guess you have a subject ID in one column?) into some monstrosity which I assume you would fill with lots of indicator variables. R does all this for you, just do something like

library(nlme)
lme(response~factor1+factor2+factor3+factor4,random=~1|ID,data=dataset)

assuming that your data.frame is called dataset with column names response, factor1, ..., factor4 and ID (and that the above is the model you want). Take a look at the help page for lme() and the Orthodont data set, which is used as an example in the lme() help page. And next time, send along a snippet of your data.frame, that would help us help you.

HTH
Stephan