Did you read the documentation before you read the code?

‘%%’ and ‘x %/% y’ can be used for non-integer ‘y’, e.g. ‘1 %/%
0.2’, but the results are subject to rounding error and so may be
platform-dependent. Because the IEC 60059 representation of ‘0.2’
is a binary fraction slightly larger than ‘0.2’, the answer to ‘1
%/% 0.2’ should be ‘4’ but most platforms give ‘5’.

I suspect that is relevant to your interests....

Yes. I think José is assuming that 25 %/% 0.2 and floor(25/0.2) are equal, but they are not, because rounding affects them differently. (The first is a single operation with no rounding except in the representation of 0.2; the second is two operations and is subject to another set of rounding.)

Duncan Murdoch
Thank you (both) very much for the info. Indeed I wasn't aware of that piece of documentation and of the implications of rounding. Excuse me for my hasty question when facing this behaviour.

--
José M. Blanco-Moreno

Dept. de Biologia Vegetal (Botànica)
Facultat de Biologia