On Sep 9, 2010, at 2:14 PM, Marc Schwartz wrote:

On Sep 9, 2010, at 12:59 PM, Jonathan Finlay wrote:

Ok friends, I tried but I not know! I'm a Linux SysAdmin and Stadistical and
i working to migrate all the software in my workplace to free or open
software. The OS was easy, ofimatic suite too, multimedia and graphics you know, everything was relatively easy. But i work with SPSS and I produce tables from polls with CTABLES and FRECUENCIES tables. In my migration party I think R is the best option but need replace SPSS functions and procedures.
I know that sucks but it's.

In the attach you will see an example with a short output like I need, please I'm starting with R and i 'm study but i need to find something to
replace this frecuently output while grows my experience in R.

This is the syntaxis used:

FREQUENCIES
 VARIABLES= REGION
/ORDER=  ANALYSIS .

CTABLES
  /VLABELS VARIABLES=zona V1 V3 V4 V5 V6 V7 V8  v51
      DISPLAY=DEFAULT
/TABLE ZONA [C] +V1 [C] +V3 [C] +V4 [C] +V5 [C] +V6 [C] +V7 [C] +V8 [C]
BY v51
      [C][ROWPCT.COUNT  COMMA40.1, TOTALS[COLPCT.COUNT  COMMA40.1]]
  /SLABELS VISIBLE=NO
/CATEGORIES VARIABLES=ZONA ORDER=A KEY=VALUE EMPTY=INCLUDE TOTAL=YES
LABEL='Total'
      POSITION=BEFORE
  /CATEGORIES VARIABLES= V1 V3 V4 V5 V6 V7 V8
      ORDER=A KEY=VALUE EMPTY=EXCLUDE
  /CATEGORIES VARIABLES=v51 ORDER=D KEY=VALUE EMPTY=INCLUDE TOTAL=YES
LABEL='Frecuencia'
      POSITION=AFTER
  /TITLES
      TITLE='  '.

R is grand, great and biggest.

Thanks for all.

I would recommend getting a copy of Bob Muenchen's book:

 R for SAS and SPSS Users
 http://sites.google.com/site/r4statistics/the-books/r4sas-spss

There is a free smaller version here:

 http://sites.google.com/site/r4statistics/free-version

and you can get a full copy from Amazon.com:

 http://www.amazon.com/SAS-SPSS-Users-Statistics-Computing/dp/0387094172

That would be the best place to start, relative to moving from SPSS to R.

Part of the challenge is not just replicating SPSS code and output in R, but understanding the conceptual differences between the two, so that you can take advantage of R's approach/philosophy in conducting data analysis.

Another place to get useful code is the UCLA Statistical Computing website. At one time that group was very negative about using R, but I think the feedback or demand has reversed that attitude and there are now quite a few worked examples of common task in which SAS, SPSS, Stata and R are applied using the same data.

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/dae/

--
David.

HTH,