On Sep 10, 2010, at 9:42 AM, Hadley Wickham wrote:

I'm having trouble parsing this. What exactly do you want to do?
1 - Put a list as an element of a data.frame. That's quite convenient for my pricing function.

I think this is a really bad idea. data.frames are not meant to be
used in this way. Why not use a list of lists?

It can be very convenient, but I suspect the original poster is
confused about the different between vectors and lists.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone were confused, since my reading of some (but not all) of the help documents has led me to think that lists _were_ vectors, just not vectors of atomic mode. And one oft- illustrated method for creating a list is: alist <- vector(mode="list", length=10). I am perhaps less confused than I was two years ago but my confusion about all the possible permutations of mode, typeof, expression, formula, and class and the extraction methods therefrom definitely persists. I think the authors of the documentation are of divided opinion or usage on this topic.

Best;
David.

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/