Hi:

Here's a fairly basic ggplot2 version with a few warts in it:

# Generate means
means <- rpois(30, 10)
# Create 30 Gaussian random samples of size 100, using means to
# define the population mean for each sample (via sapply)
df <- data.frame(ds = rep(1:30, each = 100),
      x = as.vector(sapply(means, function(x) rnorm(100, means[x]))) )

library(ggplot2)

# Two versions of density plot:
# Version 1: no fill color, just curves
h <- ggplot(df2, aes(x = x, colour = ds))
h + geom_density() + facet_grid(ds ~ ., as.table = FALSE) +
     opts(axis.text.y = theme_blank())

# as.table = FALSE allows you to read upward from data set 1 to 30

# Version 2: add fill color
g <- ggplot(df2, aes(x = x, colour = ds, fill = ds))
g + geom_density() + facet_grid(ds ~ ., as.table = FALSE) +
     opts(axis.text.y = theme_blank())

Some problems that arose:
(1) I couldn't figure out how to set a range of colors beyond the
    default. I tried several things with scale_colour_*, but one
    problem or another arose. Ideally, I'd like to be able to set
    the color by mean value, but that would require some thinking
    (OMG!) Some features of scales are still a bit beyond me...
(2) I could get rid of the y-axis tick labels, but couldn't get
    rid of both the labels and the ticks. I was also hoping to use
    theme_bw() using just the horizontal grid lines, but no. I just
    thought of a couple ideas to play with on that front., though,
    so I'll continue to toy with it for a bit.

All in all, for a few lines of code, it's a pretty decent plot, even
though it needs some work. Thank Hadley for that...

HTH,
Dennis