Hi

On 13/09/2010 8:03 p.m., Benoit Boulinguiez wrote:
Hi all,

I'm still seeking for tweaking the appearance of the "color" legend in a
bar goemetry with ggplot2.
I can't seem to control the filling of the colour legend squares
take this,
ggplot(diamonds, aes(clarity, fill=color,colour = cut)) +
geom_bar(position = "dodge")
and I'd need a white filling in the colour legend, instead of the black one.

I couldn't see a theme element that would allow you to modify that via opts(), but you could go lower-level and edit the appropriate rect grobs.

Having produced the plot ...

ggplot(diamonds, aes(clarity, fill=color,colour = cut)) +
    geom_bar(position = "dodge")

... you could inspect grid.ls() output by eye to see which grobs these are likely to be and do something like ...

grid.gedit(gPath("GRID.cellGrob.439", "legend.frame",
                 "GRID.cellGrob", "key.gTree", "GRID.rect"),
           gp=gpar(fill="white"))

... but the "439" will change each time you produce the plot (it will almost certainly be a different number for you) so could automate somewhat by using grid.ls() to determine the *second* "GRID.cellgrob" directly beneath the "legends" grob ...

grobList <- grid.ls()
secondLegend <- grep("legends::GRID.cellGrob.[0-9]+$",
                     grobList$gPath)[2]
grobName <- grobList$name[secondLegend - 1]
grid.gedit(gPath(grobName, "legend.frame",
                 "GRID.cellGrob", "key.gTree", "GRID.rect"),
           gp=gpar(fill="white"))

... which should work (for your plot) every time you draw it.

Is that the result you were after?

Paul

Does anyone know how to rule that?

All the best