Hi:

Are you thinking of a levelplot/heatmap? Some places to look:

?levelplot in the lattice package
?geom_tile in the ggplot2 package
?heatmap2 in the gplots package

You can find many more heatmap functions in R; try

library(sos)            # install first if you don't have it - *very* handy
for quick searches
findFn('heatmap')

There are more than a few packages with heatmap functions...

HTH,
Dennis