I guess you want a multi-threaded R. The cheapest way is to recompile R from the source and link it with an multi-threaded BLAS. See R-admin for details. See also Dirk's recent survey on this topic http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/papers/gcbd.pdf I managed to do this under my linux box with Intel core 2 CPU which works well. But I haven't tried with i7 CPU.

Feng