Hi Phil and Thomas,
Thanks for your helpful feedback.  I must admit my solution to creating the
vector of colors lacked your elegance.
In brief, I saved the output of colors() into a text file, saved all but 47
colours in that file and read it back as a data frame and used the first
column of the dataframe as a vector of 47 colours. This roundabout method
may have caused the  problem because when I chose colours according to the
commands sent by both of you things seemed to work just fine.
Thank you very much for your feedback.
Anjan