On Oct 12, 2010, at 9:51 AM, Li, Jing Yi wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have experience using RJDBC library to write to Sybase
datatable? The jdbc driver I am using is jConnect 6.0. I can
successfully write into a new datatable, but have problem appending rows
to existing one. It either complains "Table *** already exists" or
simply overwrite the existing one. Here is the example.

I am trying to append 'data' to the existing datatable 'tmp'

data
        SecurityID      Ticker
1       12345           AAPL

dbWriteTable(conn, "tmp", data, append = T, overwrite = F)
Error in .local(conn, name, value, ...) :
Table 'tmp' already exists

dbWriteTable(conn, "tmp", data, append = T)
[1] TRUE

What happens when you type c(T,F) at your console? Do you get [1] TRUE FALSE ?

The first dbWriteTable failed as it's complaining "tmp already exists,
it looks strange to me as append is set to TRUE. The second dbWriteTable
succeeded but it actually overwrite existing rows with "data" which is
not expected as append is set to TRUE and overwrite is default to FALSE.

Can anyone shed me some lights here? Thanks a lot for your help!
--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT