I'm attempting to insert variables as expressions into labels for my plots,
but I'm running into the issue that characters in my labels aren't allowed
in expressions, notably '[' and ']'. An input string of "[^3H]5-CT" needs to
be displayed as [3H]5-CT with the 3 as superscript. But brackets aren't
particularly liked in expressions. I know I can do something like

mtext(expression(paste("[",phantom()^3,"H]5-CT (0.8 nM)")),3,2)

but "[^3H]5-CT" is saved as a single variable. I'm not really sure what to
do other than splitting the string into sections that can and can't be
evaluated as expressions and then pasting as necessary.

Thanks,
Jared