Thank you, William and Berend, for your thorough replies. I have still the
habit of setting "long int" variables because, when I first learnt C, the
manual said that "int" could be up to around 3.2e4. But I suppose that, in
systems from 32 bits, an "int" number can be much larger, isn't it?

- which version of Mac OS X?

10.6.4

> - Which version of R? (version, architecture)

The version is 2.11.1 (although I had the same problem with the previous
version). I downloaded the binary for Mac from r-project. In the
Applications menu, I can see "R" and "R64". Nevertheless, I start R in the
command line: like this, I suppose it is the 64 bits version which starts,
isn't it?

> - Officially provided R or compiled by you? Official R is compiled with
> Apple gcc.

The official one.

> - if R was compiled with Apple compiler, who knows what can happen if you
> link with code compiled with a non Apple gcc?

It is the official. Nevertheless, my code C for R works in Linux whether I
compile my C functions with gcc or with icc.

> - if the code runs ok on your supervisors iMac: did he use Apple compiler?

I do not think he compiled it himself. For the architecture, he does not
remember well, he has said that he thinks that he is using a version of R
that was compiled in 32 bits.

> if so I wouldn't be surprised if your Macports compiler is a possible cause
> of your troubles.

I do not think so. Both R and the "default" gcc did not come from Macports.
The "default" gcc came with Xcode in the extras' cd (by the way, how can gcc
in Mac be upgraded?).

> - on 64bit Mac OS X long int is 64bits and int is 32bits; on 32bit Mac OSX
> both are 32 bits.

Thank you. As I said, chaging from "unsigned long int" to "int" seemed to
solve the problem.

David
Can you please Cc to me any replies, just in case I may miss any of them
among the whole amount of emails :-) ?