j.delashe...@ed.ac.uk wrote:
I have just started using the package 'rgl' to explore my data as a 3D scatterplot.

It's a great tool. But I would like to be able to save some graph views and it appears the only format available is 'png' and it doesn't look that nice. It is excellent to work with on screen and explore/play, but when it comes to producing a good quality graphic I'm a bit disappointed.

So the questions I have are:

1) is there a way to render the graph in the RGL device as a high quality graphic?

2) if the answer is no, what would be the best package to produce good quality "point-of-view" customisable 3D scatter plots? I guess I cal always use 'rgl' to explore the data, and then use an alternative to produce specific plots, once I figure which views/angles are the ones I want to show.

3) it would be interesting to produce a simple movie, maybe just a 360-degree rotation. Is there a package geared towards that, or do I just simply create a collection of images that I animate elsewhere?

See ?movie3d in rgl for doing the latter.

Duncan Murdoch
Thank you for your help!

Jose