Marc is exactly right about people having strong opinions.

R-forge is really the _only_ reason to consider using svn.

git is where the world is headed.  This video is a little old:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8, but does a good job
getting the point across.

Hg is a good alternative, but definitely give git the first look.

-Whit