Hello,

I help to maintain a moderate library of R code. In this code we have a number
of calls to the system function along the lines of:

    exe_output = system("./executable.exe",intern=T)

We tend to prefer system() over shell() because, provided the executable has
been compiled and the working directory set, the command works under both linux
and windows.

We've never had a problem with this code using R 2.9 and lower, but I've
recently started testing code in R 2.12 and have been getting "CreateProcess
failed to run..." error messages.

I've not found much info on this in the change logs/release notes, but from
what
I have found I am under the impression that system() no longer "shell quotes"
the command passed to it (if I "shQuote()" the command the code runs fine). I
also see from the help files that a new function "system2()" has been
introduced
which takes a different set of arguments and appears to be under development
(from the help page: "system2is the beginnings of a more portable interface
than
system").

Since I assume there to be good reasons for this change to system I'm happy to
spend the time updating our library to work under R 2.12, but before I commence
on this task I wanted to try to get a better understanding of what changes have
been made to system().

My questions are:

1) What is the nature of and motivation for the changes to the system()
function?

2) What does system2() offer that system does not?

3) Can anyone recommend the "best" (in particular most future-proof) way of
updating our system calls, preferably, and this may be a big ask, such that
they
work in both R 2.9 and R2.12 under both linux and windows?

If any of these questions have previously been answered and I've simply failed
in my googling, links would be appreciated.

Many thanks for your time,

Ralph