I would do some monitoring (debugging) of the script by placing some 'gc()'
calls in the sequence of statements leading to the problem to see what the
memory usage is at that point.  Take a close look at the sizes of your
objects.  If it is happening in some function you have called, you may have
to take a look and understand if multiple copies are being made.  Most
problems of this type may require that you put hooks in your code (most of
the stuff that I write has it in so I can isolate performance problems) to
gain an understanding of what is happening when.  To improve memory
allocation, you first have to understand what is causing the problem, and
enough information has not been provided so that I could make a comment on
it.  There are lots of rules of thumb that can be used, but many depend on
exactly what you are trying to do.

--
Jim Holtman
Cincinnati, OH