On 11/10/2010 11:27 PM, Aleksandr Andreev wrote:
OK, that loads the shape file.

But now when I do:

submap<- subset(spb, as.character(spb$Name) == 'Vasilevsky Island')

the submap still has the whole city, not just the subset. Is there now
a different way of extracting a subset from a map?
I have never used subset with shape files, maybe you can try the following?
submap <- spb[spb$Name == "Vasilevsky Island",]
This usually works if spb is a SpatialPolygonsDataFrame.

Cheers,
Jon