On Nov 11, 2010, at 12:14 PM, Michael Haenlein wrote:

Thanks for the comment, James!

The problem is that my initial sample (Dataset 1) is truncated. That means I only observe "time to death" for those individuals who actually died before
end of my observation period. It is my understanding that this type of
truncation creates a bias when I use a "normal" regression analysis. Hence
my idea to use some form of survival model.

I had another look at predict.survreg and I think the option "response"
could work for me.
When I run the following code I get ptime = 290.3648.
I assume this means that an individual with ph.ecog=2 can be expected to life another 290.3648 days before death occurs [days is the time scale of
the time variable).

It is a prediction under specific assumptions underpinning a parametric estimate.

Could someone confirm whether this makes sense?

You ought to confirm that it "makes sense" by comparing to your data:
reauire(Hmisc); require(survival)
<your code>

> describe(lung[lung$status==1&lung$ph.ecog==2,"time"])
lung[lung$status == 1 & lung$ph.ecog == 2, "time"]
      n missing  unique    Mean
      6       0       6   293.7

          92 105 211 292 511 551
Frequency  1   1   1   1   1   1
%         17  17  17  17  17  17

> ?lung

So status==1 is a censored case and the observed times are status==2
> describe(lung[lung$status==2&lung$ph.ecog==2,"time"])
lung[lung$status == 2 & lung$ph.ecog == 2, "time"]
n missing unique Mean .05 .10 .25 .50 . 75 .90 .95 44 1 44 226.0 14.95 36.90 94.50 178.50 295.75 500.00 635.85

lowest :  11  12  13  26  30, highest: 524 533 654 707 814

And the mean time to death (in a group that had only 6 censored individual at times from 92 to 551) was 226 and median time to death among 44 individuals is 178 with a right skewed distribution. You need to decide whether you want to make that particular prediction when you know that you forced a specific distributional form on the regression machinery by accepting the default.

lfit <- survreg(Surv(time, status) ~ ph.ecog, data=lung)
ptime <- predict(lfit, newdata=data.frame(ph.ecog=2), type='response')

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 5:26 PM, James C. Whanger
<james.whan...@gmail.com>wrote:

Michael,

You are looking to compute an estimated time to death -- rather than the odds of death conditional upon time. Thus, you will want to use "time to
death" as your dependent variable rather than a dichotomous outcome (
0=alive, 1=death).   You can accomplish this with a straight forward
regression analysis.

Best,

Jim

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 3:44 AM, Michael Haenlein <haenl...@escpeurope.eu >wrote:

Dear all,

I'm struggling with predicting "expected time until death" for a coxph and
survreg model.

I have two datasets. Dataset 1 includes a certain number of people for
which
I know a vector of covariates (age, gender, etc.) and their event times (i.e., I know whether they have died and when if death occurred prior to
the
end of the observation period). Dataset 2 includes another set of people
for
which I only have the covariate vector. I would like to use Dataset 1 to
calibrate either a coxph or survreg model and then use this model to
determine an "expected time until death" for the individuals in Dataset 2. For example, I would like to know when a person in Dataset 2 will die,
given
his/ her age and gender.

I checked predict.coxph and predict.survreg as well as the document "A Package for Survival Analysis in S" written by Terry M. Therneau but I
have
to admit that I'm a bit lost here.

Could anyone give me some advice on how this could be done?

Thanks very much in advance,

Michael

Michael Haenlein
Professor of Marketing