(Assuming you aren't going into ggplot2)
You can have a look here, it might offer a nice solution:

http://rgm2.lab.nig.ac.jp/RGM2/R_man-2.9.0/library/shape/man/colorlegend.html

Also, you can use ?cut to change your coloring to specific chunks (although
having a full gradient is probably nicer)

Contact me: tal.gal...@gmail.com |  972-52-7275845
www.r-statistics.com (English)