On 19.11.2010 21:43, Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:
This is very strange. (Debian squeeze, R 2.12.0 compiled from source)

I did some moderately large computation (including svd of a 560x50 matrix),
running a few minutes, and R memory increasing to about 900MB on this
2 GB ram laptop. I had done Rprof(memory.profiling=TRUE) first.
Then doing summaryRprof().
Then doing
?summaryRprof
and then the computer running with one of two cores at 100% for more
than an hour!

Whats happening?

We do not know. What about sending a reproducible example?

Best,
Uwe

(running R from within emacs-ess)
Kjetil