On 20.11.2010 14:24, Jan Gairing wrote:
Hello,

I've been trying to install the fBasics package on an openSuSe 11.3
64bit machine.
It gives an error saying:

WARNING: *R* *include* *directory* *is* *empty* -- *perhaps* *need* *to*
*install* *R*-*devel*.*rpm* *or* similar

Yet, R-devel is installed. Other packages work fine. I also tried
different ways to install...install.packages() and R CMD INSTALL...

The complete message is (unfortunately in German)

* installing to library '/usr/lib64/R/library'
* installing *source* package 'fBasics' ...
** libs
Warnung: Das R include Verzeichnis ist leer -- evtl. muss das R-devel
Paket installiert werden

1. Just set the environment variable LANGUAGE to "en" in order to get English messages.

2. You may have R-devel something installed, but probably not where your R installation expects it. If the cited directory is empty as mentioned, the files are simply not there. Just check if they are missing from /usr/lib64/R/include or not.

Uwe Ligges

gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/lib64/R/include  -I/usr/local/include    -fpic
-fmessage-length=0 -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector
-funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -c gld.c -o gld.o
gld.c:42:16: fatal error: R.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
compilation terminated.
make: *** [gld.o] Fehler 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'fBasics'
* removing '/usr/lib64/R/library/fBasics'

So it does not find R.h. It seems to be a problem with the C compiling
code?
If somebody has any idea, let me know. On other machines the package
works just fine.

Many thanks upfront