On Nov 20, 2010, at 3:25 PM, David Potts wrote:

Hi List

I am trying to call the R library function rosavent from the climatol
package via the plr interface package to the postgres database.

My code is a follows

create or replace function w_graph() returns text as
'
str <- pg.spi.exec("select
n,nne,ne,ene,e,ese,se,sse,s,ssw,sw,wsw,w,wnw,nw,nnw from wdata");
pdf("/tmp/foobar.pdf");
rosavent(str,4,4,ang=-3*pi/16,main="Annual windrose")

dev.off();
print("Done");
'
LANGUAGE plr;

When invoked it gives the error

# select w_graph();
ERROR:  R interpreter expression evaluation error
DETAIL:  Error in PLR7843132 <- function() { : could not find function
"rosavent"
CONTEXT:  In PL/R function w_graph

I assume this means it can not find the rosavent function from the
climatol package.

I have loaded the climatol package using the following syntax
install.packages("climatol",lib="/home/dfuncs/r-lang/my-rlib")

I'm not sure if not having loaded climatol is the source of your problem, but if it is, you have forgotten to load the package after installing it. Perhaps:

require(climatol)   # before the pdf(...) call

I assume that the an R process created by the plr interface will load a
library, does any body know how I tell it to load it?

This page:
http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/Tidbits/bernier/art13mar04/graphingWithR.html

makes me thing that PL/R passes r code pg.spi.exec (... calls. Does it matter that the illustration on that page uses str<<- pg.spi.exec ( rahter than str<- ?

(This would seem to be the wrong place to be asking these questions. There are websites set up to mediate conversations between PL/R users.)
--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT