Hi Gabor,

>That is the correct version of gdata.  I am using Windows 32 so there
>could be some differences due to that.  At any rate, can you start a
>fresh R session and show the console output of the problems you have
>seen.  Use Rgui --vanilla to start R to be sure you don't have
>anything else that might interfere and show everything including the R
>startup message in the R console output.

Each time I start R clicking Rgui short-cut on Win7 desktop.  In order to clear
all residue I reboot Win7 and click Rgui short-cut to start R

Output:-
R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-pc-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

rcom requires a current version of statconnDCOM installed.
To install statconnDCOM type
     installstatconnDCOM()

This will download and install the current version of statconnDCOM

You will need a working Internet connection
because installation needs to download a file.
[Previously saved workspace restored]

It seems no complaint there.

I start another Win7 64bit VM on this virtual machine
(Remark:  This is a virtual machine with 3 Win7,64bit, 1 Win7, 32bit, 2 Ubuntu
10.10,64 bit, 2 Debian 6, 64bit, etc. running.  All VMs have R installed)

evoke Rgui on desktop.

Output:

R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-pc-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

The output looks same as previous one up to:-
Type 'q()' to quit R.

gdata not installed

> packageDescription("gdata")$Version
Error in packageDescription("gdata")$Version :
  $ operator is invalid for atomic vectors
In addition: Warning message:
In packageDescription("gdata") : no package 'gdata' was found

> win.version()
[1] "Windows 7 x64 (build 7600)"

> R.version.string
[1] "R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)"

I also make comparison with R running on other Win7 64 and 32 bit VMs.  The
output looks more less the same.

B.R.
Stephen L