On 09/12/2010 11:20 AM, Uwe Wolfram wrote:
Dear Subscribers,

I am using R for quite a while nowadays on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I a using R
for doing my statistics. Furthermore I am using it as a tool to generate
the graphics for my publications.

I am currently working on a project which involves nls-fits of three
dimensional surfaces such as ellipsoids or even more complex. I have
been searching R help and the manuals for a possibility to plot these
surfaces. Is there any package in R that allows plotting something like
this:

http://uwwo.in-chemnitz.de/R-Problem/tsai-wu-principal-strain.pdf

This plot was generated using Mathematicas ContourPlot3D function. I
would love to be able to plot this in R. However, I could not find
something which could this.

Thanks a million for the help!

As others have mentioned, rgl can plot surfaces. You might want to also look at misc3d, which can compute 3d contours to be plotted by rgl (or other graphics systems).

Duncan Murdoch