Hello R Folks...

I've been looking around the 'net and I see many complex solutions in various languages to this question, but I have a pretty simple need (and I'm not much good at regex). I want to use a chemical formula as a function argument. The formula would be in "Hill order" which is to list C, then H, then all other elements in alphabetical order. My example will have only a limited number of elements, few enough that one can search directly for each element. So some examples would be C5H12, or C5H12O or C5H11BrO (note that for oxygen and bromine, O or Br, there is no following number meaning a 1 is implied).

Let's say

> form <- "C5H11BrO"

I'd like to get the count of each element, so in this case I need to extract C and 5, H and 11, Br and 1, O and 1 (I want to calculate the molecular weight by mulitplying). Sounds pretty simple, but my experiments with grep and strsplit don't immediately clue me into an obvious solution. As I said, I don't need a general solution to the problem of calculating molecular weight from an arbitrary formula, that seems quite challenging, just a way to convert "form" into a list or data frame which I can then do the math on.

Here's hoping this is a simple issue for more experienced R users! TIA, Bryan