You need RGtk2 2.20.7 which is now on CRAN. Others have seen this, but it has taken a while to track down the exact cause.

The diagnosis was that ML used a recent GNU tar which created a tarball with hard links that R's untar was not prepared to deal with. We consider that is a bug in GNU tar, but untar() has been updated in R-patched to cope.

If you have such a tarball, try setting the environment variable R_INSTALL_TAR to 'tar' (or whatever GNU tar is called on your system) when installing the tarball.

For those packaging source packages: in the unusual event that your package sources contains symbolic (or even hard) links, don't use GNU tar 1.24 or 1.25.