On 11-01-28 5:15 AM, Iva wrote:

Dear All,

I have Windows Vista and I want to install R. However, when I tried to start
it after the installation, I received the following message:

'Fatal error. I cannot retrieve the saved data from .RData'. So, in the
moment R does not work.

Do you have any idea how to cope with this problem?

Find the bad .RData file and move it out of the way. The rules R uses to find it are somewhat involved; you might find it easiest just to use Windows utilities to find it. But here are the rules to find the home directory where .RData would be found.

"The home directory is set as follows: If environment variable R_USER is set, its value is used. Otherwise if environment variable HOME is set, its value is used. After those two user-controllable settings, R tries to find system-defined home directories. It first tries to use the Windows "personal" directory (typically C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents on Windows XP and C:\Users\username\Documents on Vista/Windows 7). If that fails, if both environment variables HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH are set (and they normally are), the value is ${HOMEDRIVE}${HOMEPATH}. If all of these fail, the current working directory is used."

Duncan Murdoch