Chris -
You can solve your problem by removing the print statements and replacing them with

answer = list(org.plot[org.plot$sub %in% ex.plot,],
              new.pl[new.pl$yar %in% "1991",],
              new.pl[new.pl$yar %in% "1993",])
prefix = sub('-','.',ex.plot)
names(answer) = paste(prefix,c('.new','new1991','new1993'),sep='')
return(answer)

That will return a list with three dataframes having the names that
you specified.

If you actually want to create separate objects in your workspace, you
could look at the help page for the assign function.

                                        - Phil Spector
                                         Statistical Computing Facility
                                         Department of Statistics
                                         UC Berkeley