Francois -
   I think you're looking for the any function:

x = c(1,2,3)
y = c(4,5,6)
any(x==y)
[1] FALSE
any(which(x==y))
[1] FALSE
x = c(1,2,3)
y = c(4,2,5)
any(x==y)
[1] TRUE
any(which(x==y))
[1] TRUE

                                        - Phil Spector
                                         Statistical Computing Facility
                                         Department of Statistics
                                         UC Berkeley
                                         spec...@stat.berkeley.edu

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Francois Rousseu wrote:

Hello R users

When using the function which to get matches, I usually do

w<-which(x==y)
length(w)==0

to determine if there are matches or not. Is there a base function that can do
the thing more directly by returning a logical value if the result of which is
empty or not?

Thanks
Francois Rousseu