Duncan,

I'm not sure how I missed your message. Sorry. What you describe is what I
do when (n-1)p is an integer so that R computes the sample quantile using a
single order statistic. My later posting has that exact binomial expression
in there as a special case. When (n-1)p is not an integer then R uses a
weighted average of 2 order statistics, in which case I'm left with my
standing problem...