It would help if you provided the code that you used for the caret functions.

The most likely issues is not using importance = TRUE in the call to train()

I believe that I've only implemented code for plotting the varImp
objects resulting from train() (eg. there is plot.varImp.train but not
plot.varImp).

Max

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Xiaoqi Cui <x...@mtu.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using package "caret" to rank predictors using random forest model and
> draw predictors importance plot. I used below commands:
>
> rf.fit<-randomForest(x,y,ntree=500,importance=TRUE)
> ## "x" is matrix whose columns are predictors, "y" is a binary resonse vector
> ## Then I got the ranked predictors by ranking
> "rf1$importance[,"MeanDecreaseAccuracy"]"
> ## Then draw the importance plot
> varImpPlot(rf.fit)
>
> As you can see, all the functions I used are directly from the package
> "randomForest", instead of from "caret". so I'm wondering if the package
> "caret" has some functions who can do the above ranking and ploting.
>
> In fact, I tried functions "train", "varImp" and "plot" from package "caret",
> the random forest model that built by "train" can not be input correctly to
> "varImp", which gave error message like "subscripts out of bounds". Also
> function "plot" doesn't work neither.
>
> So I'm wondering if anybody has encountered the same problem before, and
> could shed some light on this. I would really appreciate your help.
>
> Thanks,
> Xiaoqi

Max