Thanks a lot, Prof Lumley.

Now I can fit a model like

coxfit=coxpy((time,censor)~pspline(x1)+x2+x3)

but I am not sure how to extract the estimated function for x1 alone. I
tried to use predict function but couldn't find appropriate option to do
this.

if i only have one covariates, then the example in help manule can be used
as
plot(x1, predict(coxfit))

but with more than 1 predictor, i am not sure how to select the one i want.