On 11-03-13 4:34 AM, Marius Hofert wrote:
Dear expeRts,

This is a similar post as on R-SIG-MAC [I didn't receive an answer there; not
sure if it was the right place to post either].

I'm running R version 2.12.1 (Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64
(64-bit))
on a MacBook Pro under Mac OS X 10.6.6. The following minimal example runs fine
under this setup. However, if I am connected to a server via a VPN client
[Cisco AnyConnect; same with Apple's internal VPN connection], then the minimal
example hangs and just does not do anything. The "red button" in the R Console
is dark red [normal behavior if R is running], so R tries to do something, but
cannot succeed. CPU goes up to 100%... Same happens if I start the job from the
command line via R CMD BATCH. What's going on? Is this a known issue?

Cheers,

Marius

library(doSNOW)
library(Rmpi)
library(rlecuyer)
library(foreach)

You're using 4 different contributed packages here. Do you really need all of those? If so, it's going to be hard to debug.

I'd suggest trying to determine the last successful call, and the first unsuccessful one, then take this up with the maintainer of the package that fails.

Duncan Murdoch

cl<- makeCluster(mpi.universe.size(), type ="MPI")
tmp<- clusterSetupRNG(cl, seed=rep(1,6))
registerDoSNOW(cl)

counter<- 0
res<- foreach(k = 1:1000) %do% {
     counter<- counter + 1