Others can discuss the comparative speed. I recently installed Linux on a new quad core computer I purchased. I found it surprisingly easy to learn how to do the things I needed. Now the hard drive is dying on my Vista notebook computer. In shopping for a replacement, I likely will insist on Linux, even if I have to create a secondary partition and install Linux myself.

A friend installed Linux for me, but he has not been available to answer all my questions. For that, Google has been quite helpful.

I installed Linux, because it offered more flexibility than I could get with any version of Windows. For example, on my dual core Vista machine, I can't run two Python sessions simultaneously. I'm doing real time downloads and uploads with an FTP site. I was doing those under Vista, but Windows could not be easily extended to multiple applications like that in parallel without paying more for Windows Server than I paid for the hardware. So far, I'm working fine with 2 GB RAM under Linux with fewer problems than I have with 8 GB RAM under Vista.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves